Steady, Ready, Go

Sometimes, it's difficult to remember the basics. Case and point, I've always thought the 90 mm f/2 lens is so difficult to use, that most of them become out of focus simply because of focus-recompose. But it turns out, I was so deep down the "difficult to use" rabbit hole, I consistently forgot to check my shutter speed under less-than-optimal lighting. A simple rule of thumb (I don't have stabilization anywhere on the camera) states that the shutter speed should be the inverse of the focal length. Sometimes it may pay well to bump up the ISO and accept a slightly more noisy image, than a blurry one. In all fairness, my Leica M isn't the best performer in the dark, but at ISO 3200, it still isn't bad at all.

 Lighting isn't bad at all, but I forgot to change ISO from 3200
Shutter speed was ample fast for me to nail the focus on the eyes

--

The weather finally stopped sucking last weekend, and I finally drove my couch-potato-ass out of my apartment and got some pictures of the typical barren yellow-brownish Calgarian pre-spring. Old habits die hard, it didn't take me long to find myself in front of some train tracks, albeit much less enjoyable activity than back in der Vaterland (the wait, unpredictability, and all).

Getting out of town, with a colourful lashup of engines

 German Engineering, with downtown in the background

Recently, I also bought a nice little toy 75-300 mm super-zoom lens for the Olympus (equivalent to 150-600 mm). Naturally, I had to test it out outdoors for the first time.

 Full-fledged at 300 mm, the track doesn't look so smooth all of a sudden

The end of the climb on Bow Trail

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feeding my GAS

Where has the time gone